The George Washington University Online Healthcare MBA Program
The George Washington University offers an online healthcare MBA program through the School of Business and School of Medicine and Health Sciences. In this innovative program, students may customize their Healthcare MBA curriculum by choosing from an array of elective courses from GW’s schools of business, medicine and health science, public health, nursing, international affairs or law. These electives comprise 24 credit hours which can enable students to simultaneously earn one of seven graduate certificates to complement their career goals. The certificate tracks are in healthcare quality, integrative medicine, health sciences, regulatory affairs, clinical research practice, clinical research administration, and clinical and translational research.
The GW online healthcare MBA seeks to combine decision-making, business management, strategic thinking, and leadership skills to prepare business managers for the healthcare industry. Because fields are becoming more interdisciplinary, a healthcare MBA offers the opportunity for professionals in the industry to approach issues from an innovative, business-minded perspective.
Students graduating with a healthcare MBA from GW, and especially those who earn a graduate certificate as well, are prepared for this cross-disciplinary approach. Interactive courses are designed to bring real-world issues into the online classroom, the practicum experience, and study-abroad opportunities.
The online healthcare MBA faculty consists of highly educated, acclaimed scholars, educators, and practitioners from business and healthcare management fields. The research, professional experiences, and published works of these individuals benefit students immensely, and offer opportunities for advanced dialogue and classroom discussion.
Students in the program may come from various backgrounds, including physicians, nurses, clinicians, clinical researchers, administrators, pharmacists, business people from other industries, and others. Professionals interested in the healthcare MBA and graduate certificates might be those in the healthcare industry who seek to advance their business skills, or professionals who wish to move into the healthcare sector.
What to Expect from the GW Healthcare MBA Program
- Bachelor’s degree from a college or university in the United States accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies.
- Applicants who have not completed a degree in the U.S. or in a TOEFL exempt country must submit recent TOEFL or IELTS scores. Scores are not required for U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or U.S. board-certified physicians.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required. However, a waiver will be considered for applicants with more than five years of relevant, professional, full-time work experience and/or U.S. board-certified physicians (proof of current certification required).
- At least three years of professional work experience with some experience in healthcare is strongly preferred.
The completed application file must include:
- Online application form
- Application fee
- Official transcripts
- Current resume or CV
- One professional letter of recommendation
- Personal statement
Study Plan: Courses vary from 1.5 to three credits and students are expected to complete the core coursework before moving into electives. Start dates are offered in the fall, spring, and summer.
Curriculum: The healthcare MBA consists of 55.5 credits: core courses equal 31.5 credits and electives are 24 credits. Required courses may include decision making and data analysis; global perspectives; marketing; foundational management topics in healthcare; operations management; organizations and human capital; strategic management; and business ethics and public policy, among others. Healthcare-focused electives can be chosen from courses such as medicines development; introduction to global regulatory affairs; issues and trends in health systems; patient safety systems; epidemiology; the clinical research industry; and regulatory strategy in the development of drugs and biologics.
Students may choose to complete one of seven graduate certificates within the online healthcare MBA program without having to take on additional credits.
- Healthcare Quality Graduate Certificate
- Integrative Medicine Graduate Certificate
- Health Sciences Graduate Certificate
- Regulatory Affairs Graduate Certificate
- Clinical Research Practice Graduate Certificate
- Clinical Research Administration Graduate Certificate
- Clinical and Translational Research Graduate Certificate
Online Experience: Students in the GW online healthcare MBA program start with an online, virtual student orientation. Students also receive an assigned academic advisor. GW uses Blackboard for syllabi, online learning experiences, class assignments, student and faculty communications, tests, quizzes, and discussion groups. Should students have any technical problems, GW also provides 24/7 online technical support.
On-Site Requirements: There are no on-site requirements for the online healthcare MBA degree from George Washington University as the program is 100 percent online. Students are welcome and encouraged to participate in graduation on campus.
Paying for the GW Healthcare MBA and Graduate Certificate Programs
George Washington University charges $1,765 per credit for the online healthcare MBA program. As tuition may change, online students should contact the admissions department of the healthcare MBA and graduate certificate programs for total costs.
GW offers financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, and student loans. Local students can also apply for work/study. Students are encouraged to seek outside resources for help paying for their healthcare MBA degree. GW offers military programs and aid and is one of the premier choices for active military members and veterans. Many businesses also offer tuition reimbursement programs for employees seeking an MBA. Please note that students in these tuition reimbursement programs must pay the tuition when due and be reimbursed by their employer.
The George Washington University School of Business Online Healthcare MBA
- Students can earn 1 of 7 grad certs as part of the curriculum: Health Care Quality, Health Sciences, Integrative Medicine, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Research Administration, Clinical Research Practice, Clinical & Translational Research
- Ranked in the top 50 Best Online MBA Programs in 2017 by US News and World Report
- Enjoy unique study abroad opportunities
|Degree Level||Master's Degree|
|Program Start Dates||Spring, Summer, Fall|
|Credits Needed to Graduate||55.5|
|Time to Complete?||Graduate in 2 to 2.5 years, but take up to 5 years.|
|Areas of Concentration||None|
|Level of Education Required?||Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree|
|GRE or GMAT Required?||GMAT waiver available for qualified applicants|
|Work Experience Required?||Yes, 3 years work experience, with some experience in healthcare preferred|
|Cost Per Credit Hour||$1,765|
|Total Program Tuition *||$97,958|